MUD Backyard Sustainability Workshop Series
For nearly 30 years, MUD Workshops have provided Missoulians with hands-on experiences in self-reliance. Our workshops teach topics that help you live lighter on the land and lighter on your budget, including Beer Brewing, Cheese Making, Small Engine Repair, Basic Auto Mechanics, Alternative Energy, Tiling, a Start-to-Finish Gardening Series, and much more! Ranging in skill level from introductory/basic to highly skilled, our workshops pair you with local experts in the field who not only show you the techniques but also encourage you to try them yourself.
These workshops are for YOU, so feel free to contact MUD with suggestions on future workshop topics or instructors!
Upcoming 2017 Backyard Sustainability Workshops
- The Language of Flowers: Valentine’s Floral Design Workshop – Feb 9 6:00 – 8:00pm, Home Resources’ Education Room (Right next to MUD!)
- Blacksmithing 101 – Feb 25, AM session (9-12) and PM (1-4) session, 902 Stoddard
- Tree Pruning – March 18 1:00-4:00pm, Orchard Gardens
- Intro to Permaculture Design I: Winter/The Seeds of Change
– Permaculture Planning and Design Basics – March 19, 10:00am-1pm, MUD Site
- Earth Day Programs all day! April 22, Freecycles
- Woman-Led Carpentry Tool Series* – 3 sessions all from 1:00 – 3:00pm: May 6, 13, 20, MUD Site
*all gender identities welcome.
- Aromas of the Garden: From the sweet to the stink, a workshop on herbs and composting with Garden City Harvest – May 20, 10:00am at the ASUM Community Garden
- Intro to Permaculture Design II: Spring/Sending Up New Shoots
– Urban Forest Gardens for Re-Crafting Production – May 21, 10:00am-1pm, MUD Site
- Backyard Chickens – Jun 10, 2-3:30pm, a family-friendly workshop at the Moon-Randolph Homestead
- Hand tool Maintenance – Jun 17, 2-3:30pm, a family-friendly workshop at the Moon-Randolph Homestead
- Intro to Permaculture Design III: Summer/Building Environments for the Future
– Natural Building, Urban Stewardship of Waters, Soils and Air – July 16, 10:00am-1pm, MUD Site
- Earth Friendly Floral Design: Medicinal Centerpieces – July 27 6:00-8:00pm, MUD Site
- Road-Kill Butchering – September, Date & Time TBD
- Intro to Permaculture Design IV: Autumn/Social Change and Inner Permaculture
– Harvest, Preservation and Sharing the Yields in Community and Culture – Sept 17, 10:00am-1pm, MUD Site
- Cider Pressing & Fermenting
- Sewing for Guys* (and Girls!)
*all gender identities welcome.
- More to come!
Suggestion for a workshops or have something you want to teach?
Well, tell us! Email email@example.com.
- Earth Friendly Floral Design: Fairness in Flowers & Dried Bouquet-Making – Feb 11 5:30 – 7:00pm, The Buttercup Market (upstairs)
- Blacksmithing 101 – Feb 27, AM session (9-12) and PM (1-4) session, 902 Stoddard
- Tree Pruning – March 5 1:00 – 4:00pm, Orchard Gardens Neighborhood Farm @210 Grove St.
- Urban Garden Workshop 1: Greenhouse Planting & Garden Planning (come to one or sign up for all and get a discount) – March 16 5:30 – 7:30pm, MUD Site
- Tooltorial: Basics of Carpentry Tools – April 16 10:00am, MUD Site
- Rocket Mass Heater Community Demonstration Project – April 16 9:00am-noon and April 17 10:00am-4:00pm. Sign up now, space is limited to five.
- Knot-Tying & Rope Work – April 23 , 1:30pm Caras Park Earth Day Celebration
- Urban Garden Workshop 2: Prepping Beds & Planting – May 18 5:30 – 7:30pm, MUD Site
- Urban Garden Workshop 3: Container Gardening – June 22 5:30 – 7:30pm, MUD Site
- Bow-Making – July 16 9:00am – 12:00pm, MUD Site
- Earth Friendly Flowers: Shape & Texture – August 31 7:00pm-8:30pm, Garden City Harvest’s River Road Neighborhood Farm
- Rocket Mass Heater Construction – Sept 17 & 18, Stevensville
- Eco-Friendly DIY Household Products Series – Sept 19, Imagine Nation Brewing *Hosted by Brooke Jones with donations supporting the MUD Project.
- Urban Garden Workshop 4: Salsa Canning – Oct 18 6:00-8:00pm, Moonlight Kitchens
- Urban Garden Workshop 5: Putting the Garden to Bed – Nov 1 5:30-7:30pm, MUD Site
- Cider Pressing & Fermenting – Nov 17 7-9pm, Downtown Dance Collective *Part of Apples & Squares: Stomp your Apples, Stomp your Feet. Q&A with a Fermenter at 7:45pm.
- Beer Brewing – Nov 29 5:30-7:30pm, Summer Sun Garden & Brew
- DIY Gift: Wreath-Making with Ethical Flowers – Dec 7 6:00pm, Buttercup Market & Cafe (upstairs)
- Fermenting for Foodies – Jan 24th, 1PM-4PM, Home ReSource
- Blacksmithing – Feb. 28, AM Session 9AM-Noon, PM Session FULL, 902 Stoddard
- Tree Pruning – Mar. 28, 1PM-4PM, Orchard Gardens, Missoula
- Backyard Chickens – April 18, 9:30am-11:30am, UM Flat
- Composting to Reduce Waste – April 26, 2015, 1pm-3pm, Caras Park, FREE
- Rain Barrels – May 2, 2015, 10AM – 2PM, MUD Central
- Gardening 101 – May 10, 1-4pm, MUD Central
- Vertical Gardens for Limited Space – June 9th, 5:30-8pm, MUD Central
- Open Hearth Cooking – CANCELLED: FIRE DANGER
- Road Kill Butchering – Sept.
- Put Your Garden to Bed – Oct 21st, 5-7:30pm, MUD Central cite, $5 MUD members $10 non-members
- Beer Brewing @ MUD Central hosted by Jared from Summer Sun Garden & Brew – Nov. 9, 5-7:30pm
- Cider Pressing and Fermenting hosted by Joshua Lisbon – Nov 19, 5:30-7:00pm. @ 2934 South 3rd St. West (behind the Barn Movement Studio).
- DIY GIFT: Native Pollinator Houses. Lead by Leah Grunzke of Flora Montana– Dec. 14 6pm-8pm, @ the ZACC (235 N 1st St).
If you have questions regarding past, current, or future workshops, please contact MUD via EMAIL or PHONE 406-721-7513.
We are always adding to our schedule and finalizing workshops throughout the year, so check back frequently for updates!