We believe education, demonstration, and celebration of urban sustainable living will create equitable communities and healthy ecosystems.
MUD promotes urban sustainable living through hands-on learning, resource sharing, and community engagement.
How We Achieve Our Mission
- Education: Backyard Sustainability Workshop Series, Sustainability Resources Library and Website, Youth Education Program (YEP!)
- Demonstration: Central Demonstration Site, Resource-sharing Programs (Tool Library and Truck Share), MUD Central Site
- Celebration: Annual Downtown Earth Day Celebration, Annual Garden Party, MUD Mingles
Program Mission Statements
Click the links below to learn more about each program.
What is sustainable living?
Sustainability, in a broad sense, is the capacity to endure. In ecology, the word describes how biological systems remain diverse and productive over time. For humans it is the potential for long-term maintenance of wellbeing, which in turn depends on the wellbeing of the natural world and the responsible use of natural resources.
Since the 1980s, human sustainability has implied the integration of economic, social and environmental spheres to: “meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”
Efforts to live more sustainably can take many forms from reorganising living conditions on a community scale, reappraising economic sectors and work practices such as construction and agriculture, and using science to develop new technologies to adjustments in individual lifestyles (gardening, biking, etc.).
 United Nations General Assembly (1987) Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development: Our Common Future. Transmitted to the General Assembly as an Annex to document A/42/427 – Development and International Co-operation: Environment. Retrieved on: 2009-02-15.
10 Tenants of Sustainable Living
1. Reduce Consumption – Live Simply
2. Reuse Resources – Reclaim; Renovate; Restore
3. Recycle Resources
4. Spend Money Wisely
5. Share Resources
6. Increase Self-Sufficiency and Self Reliance
7. Strive For Economic Sustainability
8. Make Sustainability Accessible
9. Spread the Word
10. Reward Yourself and Celebrate!